Thursday, April 11, 2013

Response to SA #6



Analytic Reflection
Short Assignment 6

It was different editing in the aspect of Wikipedia. I know it is important to stay objective, but when editing for Wikipedia, I feel a weight on my shoulders and the pressure is on. I feel like writing one word the wrong way, can make something completely biased or considered inaccurate.

                For the shorter part of the assignment, I chose the article The Dragon Murder Case which is a description of a book. I chose this one from the portals page. I didn’t feel as threatened by this one because I only saw a few minor grammatical changes that I could make. Nothing major, so it wasn’t as if I were rewriting history. Nonetheless, just know that it was a part of Wikipedia does add a little pressure. So for this, because it was going directly to the Wikpedians, I made a few changes as possible.

                For the larger part of the assignment, I just dove right in. Since we were editing on a Word document, it caused the tension to subside for a little bit. I chose the article Gamma Kappa Phi. Digging into the editing for this article wasn’t too difficult. I came across mainly grammatical errors and spelling errors. However, the article, as even stated on the Wikipedia Page, came off as an advertisement. It felt informational for joining purposes. While editing, I referred back to the Editing out obscenity for references. In  the section Revision in thinking from the webpage, it reminded me to look at the sources being used to see if the information is credible. If I were to dig further into this article, I would definitely double check my references from other sources to ensure that what is being said in Gamma Kappa Phi is accurate. It appears to be fact based, but without the proper research, one can’t truly know. In Kolln’s article, The Writer’s voice, I looked over the dos and don’ts of grammatical editing. It helped me make changes throughout the article.
               
                This assignment helped me get a feel for a different kind of editing. It helped me look at an article and help make it stay clear and unbiased. I had to use reasoning to make sure I wasn’t changing anything that would make it inaccurate, as well as make sure that the article sounded legitimate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment